CommonMark Spec

peter2536

13 Nov, 2015 05:37 AM

Hi! I am a new user of Marked 2 and find it really useful. I am moving all my writing and documentation over from HTML5 to Markdown.

One of the problems that strikes me is the lack of features in John Gruber's basic Markdown specification and/or the lack of a "standard" Markdown specification.

One of the areas I am having mild problems with is the way various Markdown editors/processors handle tables.

So this leads me on to a standard Markdown specification. CommonMark (http://commonmark.org) seems to be the closest thing we have to such a specification.

I wonder what plans there are to support CommonMark within Marked 2.

Regards,
Peter

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Brett on 13 Nov, 2015 02:01 PM

Most CommonMark syntax will render fine with the default MultiMarkdown processor, but if you want features such as backslashed line endings and non-collapsed blockquotes, you can use the commonmark-py module as a custom processor. You can install it with easy_install commonmark or if you have pip installed, pip install commonmark.

Note that on OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) custom processors are having a rough time because of new security features, so you'll need to set the processor itself to the python executable (determined by which python in Terminal), and the arguments to the path to the commonmark executable (determined by which cmark.py in Terminal).

On my system with a brew install of Python:

-Brett

2. 2 Posted by peter2536 on 13 Nov, 2015 10:36 PM

Brett,

Thanks for the quick reply and the detail information. The "back slashed line endings" etc. are not important to me yet but it's good that everything else seems to work. It just seemed that CommonMark was a good initiative and compliance with it would be a useful feature in Marked 2 (or 3).

Thanks again,
    Peter

3. peter2536 closed this discussion on 26 May, 2018 02:36 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac