Live PDF Preview

pyzmark

23 Dec, 2017 11:49 PM

I hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere (recently, anyway: I do see occasional mention of the problem in other threads. No resolution, though). I would really love if Marked 2 would preview PDFs live (ie. show pagination and format for, for example, 8.5x11" paper). I love the program, but basically never use it because I actually want to see what the export will look like, live. Ulysses does this, more or less, so I don't know why I can't do it in the preview app I would prefer to use: Marked 2. Am I missing some obvious way of turning this on in the current app?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Brett on 27 Dec, 2017 04:14 PM

Ulysses is able to provide the live preview because they generate their PDF output completely from scratch. Marked uses the macOS print/PDF system, which doesn't generate the pages until export. In order to provide a live preview with the current system, I'd basically have to be printing the document repeatedly on every update, and even in the background that would be problematic.

I do intend to revise the PDF generation strategy, but at this time the only way to see the final output is to actually create the PDF (or use Print->Open in Preview).

2. 2 Posted by pyzmark on 27 Dec, 2017 06:31 PM

Huh, that explanation makes sense. Ok, thanks. Anyway, consider this a vote for live PDF preview, should it ever become feasible. Thanks for the great product.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac