Back Button/Open Preference

nathan

05 Aug, 2014 04:51 PM

I'm using Marked2 to build my own "mini"-wiki; i.e., a bunch of notes in Markdown format that cross-link, and have a table of contents.

When I first clicked a link in Marked2, it prompted me whether to open in the same window or a new window. I selected same, but this is suboptimal without a back button. A common case, at least in testing and building these notes, is to navigate from the TOC to a page, and then jump back to the TOC. Any thoughts on adding "back" functionality? A keyboard shortcut would be ideal!

Also, I can't figure out how to toggle the behavior for how links are opened. I can't find a preferences, and deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.brettterpstra.mark* didn't cause me to be prompted again. I must be missing something...

Thanks!
Nathan

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Brett on 05 Aug, 2014 05:01 PM

There's a reset alerts button in General preferences that will prompt
    you again next time. If you don't check the "Remember this choice"
    button, it will ask you every time.

Marked is not intended to be a browser, which is why I've left
    navigation features out of it. It also isn't built to be a web browser,
    as every page is read, processed and then the HTML is loaded from
    memory, not read from the disk. A back button would just be a synthetic
    file representation. You can always add back links to your sub-pages,
    but I don't think document navigation in general is in my long-term
    plan.

2. 2 Posted by nathan on 05 Aug, 2014 05:20 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

I think I see good reasons to stay away from navigation; it seems like it would open up a whole new set of problems. I'm in no way complaining; I love the product, and I think it will serve my needs as-is—now that I know how to reset the alerts!

In my mind, the rendering process isn't connected, though. Processing to HTML for every page is exactly what I'm looking for. It means I can edit directly, rather than having to sync things through a static generator like Jekyll/Octopress. I love using "Open in Editor" to pop over to an editor; and that changes are immediately reflected back in Marked. So, I'm not sure what you mean by "synthetic file representation." In my mind, it's just an undo of a navigation action...

My point being, if you wanted to go further down this path, I think it works well! But I also thinks it serves my needs already.

Thanks for the great product, and quick answer!

Nathan

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac