Integration in Mail.app

Herwig Henseler

30 May, 2012 11:59 AM

Is there an easy way to integrate Marked into Mail.app? That is:

• I write a new Mail in Mail.app and I want to have it preview in Marked while writing.
  • I receive a Mail with markdown and want to display it in Marked?

In know there are Plugins for Mail.app, would it be possible to write one for that purpose?

Regards,
Herwig

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Brett on 30 May, 2012 12:49 PM

No, neither are currently possible. You can use external files to compose and then copy RTF or the original text, and the upcoming version c

-Brett (on iPhone)

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Brett on 30 May, 2012 01:31 PM

Because Marked needs actual files on the disk to work with, this isn't currently possible. I may work out a means to do it with AppleScript someday, but it's far more complex than working with VoodooPad or Scrivener, for example.

For right now you have to use external files for composing. I keep one scratch file handy and re-use it for things like that, just always having it open in Marked and then hitting ⌘E to edit in my external editor. The next version of Marked does support Clipboard Preview, which basically makes it really fast to open a scratch file with the clipboard contents and preview it, optionally using ⌘E to edit directly.

You can also play with QuickCursor (I think it's on the App Store now) for quickly editing a Mail window in a scratch file, which could then be opened in Marked, but I'm not sure how well that would go without trying it out.

3. 3 Posted by Herwig Henseler on 30 May, 2012 02:22 PM

Thanks, Brett for answering so fast,

the clipboard trick sounds nice, I'm looking forward to the next version of Marked.

Regarding "Marked needs actual files on the disk": Mail.app does this. If I start writing a mail and do a cmd-s, then a real file is saved to disk. The trick is to find out the filename, which is buried deep in Library/Mail/some/long/obscure/path/with/random/stuff.emlx

Regards,
    Herwig

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Brett on 30 May, 2012 02:29 PM

Thanks for the tip, I didn't realize drafts were saved to disk. I'll look into it.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac