is there a way to export → PDF → automatically open the PDF in default app ?

rover213

10 Jul, 2020 06:09 AM

This would definitely accelerate my workflow.
I can rename the file later after it is open.
thank you Brett !

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Brett on 10 Jul, 2020 08:55 AM

Not sure if you mean automating the export itself (which you can't do) or opening the exported PDF automatically, which you can kind of do.

The paginated PDF export uses the print system, and most of the features are available just by going to the Print dialog instead of the Export->PDF dialog. In the lower left there's a dropdown titled PDF. You can send to Preview, or click Edit Menu and add any app you want.

Let me know if that helps.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Brett on 10 Jul, 2020 12:43 PM

If you mean automating the export itself, no, there’s no automation for that. If you just mean exporting directly to your default pdf app, try Print and then in the lower left there’s a dropdown titled PDF that will let you send straight to Preview, maybe other apps. Let me know if that helps.

- Brett

3. 3 Posted by rover213 on 10 Jul, 2020 01:30 PM

Thank you for your reply.

The paginated PDF export does not use the print system. If it did, I would simply print as PDF, as you describe and as I often do

In my case the paginated PDF export opens in a save file menu as per snapshot, and I have to go through the tedious process of saving → going to folder → open PDF.

thanks again

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Brett on 10 Jul, 2020 02:18 PM

What I’m saying is that that save dialog is just a fancy version of the print system. Going through the print dialog offers nearly the same result.

- Brett

5. 5 Posted by rover213 on 10 Jul, 2020 03:26 PM

OK. thanks you Brett and have a nice weekend !

6. Brett closed this discussion on 11 Jul, 2020 04:31 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac