Using "file:///" links in Marked

Roben Kleene

20 Feb, 2012 10:32 PM

Howdy Brett,

First of all, I love the work you've been doing on Marked, the app keeps getting better and better.

I have a feature request, right now when I create a link like this in my markdown document:

1. [Create TPS folder](file:///Users/username/Documents/)

And then click that link in Marked, it shows me the "File Type Fail" error. I'd like this to open the folder relating to the path specified in the "file:///" url. This is the way it looks works if I click the same link in Safari. E.g., if I take Marked's HTML output of the above link:

<li><p><a href="file:///Users/username/Documents/">Create TPS folder</a></p></li>

And create an HTML document with that line in it, and open the HTML document it in Safari, then click the link. It opens that folder.

I'm trying to use this to right a Markdown document that describes a series of steps that need to be performed in a series of folders. The idea is you could read the description of what you're supposed to do in that folder, then click the link to open the folder.

Thanks in advance, whether you decide to add the above or not, it's a great app!

Best,
-Roben

1. 1 Posted by Wim Verhavert on 19 Oct, 2012 12:48 PM

BTW, the preview of Byword is capable of doing this. It's a bit strange that Marked cannot handle these. Now I have to switch to the Byword preview to open files/folders. Even more strange is the fact that Marked can open links to Mail messages.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Brett on 19 Oct, 2012 05:19 PM

It was in an effort to allow wiki-like interlinking that I made Marked handle file:// links internally. I can't have it both ways, though. I'm debating whether the wiki idea is ever going to reach fruition, so this is one more vote to have it just open those links with the system.

3. 3 Posted by Roben Kleene on 24 Oct, 2012 12:08 AM

Hi Brett,

Cool idea re the wiki-interlinking. I wonder if this could still work by using relative URLs for Wiki-style links, e.g., "Another page" could follow a link within Marked, whereas A file would pass on opening the file to the file-system. Just an idea, I guess as a user that would be my expectation of how each type of link would work.

Thanks again for all your great work!

Best,
    -Roben

4. 4 Posted by Roben Kleene on 24 Oct, 2012 12:11 AM

Oops, I forgot to escape my links, the first one was [Another Page](apage.md) and the second was [A File](file:///afile.md)

5. 5 Posted by Tom on 12 Jun, 2013 04:16 PM

Just to add my support for adding file:/// support, I often store Word/Excel files in an assets folder and link from my notes, it's annoying that Marked.app doesn't support this (it's one area where the built-in preview in nvALT is better!)

6. 6 Posted by Paul on 13 Jun, 2013 11:36 PM

Just wanted to add my support for adding file:/// support into Marked.

Excellent app. Love it!

7. 7 Posted by Torsten Louland on 20 Jan, 2014 05:01 PM

Please add my vote to the file:/// support request list.

In an another attempt to escape bloated word processors, I'm experimenting to see whether markdown can be my main document format. I frequently have to include references to other documents, which need not be types handled by Marked. Seems sensible to me that Marked should pass file types it doesn't recognise to the system for opening by default application for the type, as does Safari. I think its a bit unkind to hit me with a modal dead end "Rich Text Fail" window when I reference an rtf file.

Apart from that, great app!

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Brett on 22 Jan, 2014 02:36 AM

I'm thinking I'll make it so that the first time an unrecognized file is
    opened, it asks you if you want to open it in an external application,
    with a "never ask again" checkbox. From that point on, if the source of
    the request came from within the document, it would just pass it through
    to the system.

-Brett

9. 9 Posted by Torsten Louland on 23 Jan, 2014 10:58 AM

That sounds good, I'd happily settle for that. But perhaps easier, why not pass unknowns through straight away, then when time permits add maintainance and use of a table of extension aliases in the preferences, as in: handle ".xyz123" as ".md", etc. Cheers, Torsten

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac