Footnotes again

thebookbloke

19 Nov, 2019 06:38 AM

Hi Brett

I'm new to Markdown and so it's probably me rather than Marked 2.

I'm finding conflicting suggestions of how to handle footnotes in md. None of them seem to render properly in Marked. Here's an example of an inline footnote:

Their marriage certificate and entry in the marriage register names Henry III’s father as Henry George Lovett (Henry II)[^Register of Marriages - St Phillip’s, Battersea (Apr 1880-Dec 1883) London Metropolitan Archives P70/PHI item 010 p 43].

If I preview this in Byword or in nvAlt, it appears as I would hope. That is, I get a superscript number in the text and a footnote giving the details at the end of the text. If I add another note a bit further along, then it also appears correctly both in the text and at the end - the number is incremented as expected.

However in Marked 2, nothing happens - the text appears exactly the same as in the original, that is, no superscript number nor footnote at the end.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Best

Mick

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Brett on 19 Nov, 2019 03:14 PM

Ok:

1. Your syntax as is works fine with the MultiMarkdown processor, so I'm assuming you have GFM selected under Preferences->Processor. Unless you specifically need some part of the Github Flavored Markdown spec, I would switch to MMD.

2. Alternatively, you could consider using the reference version of the footnote syntax. The inline version you're using is only for MultiMarkdown, but the following style works with GFM as well:

Their marriage certificate and entry in the marriage register names Henry III’s father as Henry George Lovett (Henry II)[^fn1].

[^fn1]: Register of Marriages - St Phillip’s, Battersea (Apr 1880-Dec 1883) London 
      Metropolitan Archives P70/PHI item 010 p 43

3. Based on the content of your footnote in the example, you may actually prefer to use Citation formatting (again, MMD only).

Hope that helps.

2. 2 Posted by thebookbloke on 19 Nov, 2019 06:29 PM

Thanks Brett I actually have MMD selected. I had tried both to no avail. I also found your suggested syntax in an earlier thread and had tried that to no effect. I shall certainly check out your third suggestion and report back.

However, I have just (re-)downloaded the trial version from your site and it works exactly as you say - perfectly. I have been using the Setapp version and that seems to be the problematic one. I notice that the Setapp version (once installed) weighs in at 68.5 meg whereas the version I've just download is 72.5 MB so there would seem to be a difference between the two.

I am quite happy to buy the version on your site and shall do so immediately.

Thanks for a great app.

Mick

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Brett on 19 Nov, 2019 07:23 PM

That's really odd that there would be any difference between the
    versions. I'll look into that.

-Brett

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Brett on 19 Nov, 2019 11:43 PM

So I've tested against the Setapp version and did not have any issues
    with the footnote syntax. I would note that the Setapp version stores
    its preferences in a different file than the direct (or MAS) version
    does, so it could still be a setting that's throwing it off, despite it
    apparently working in one and not the other.

As far as binary size differences, the libraries that are included with
    the direct version are going to be significantly different in size from
    the Setapp version, which doesn't require all of the in-app purchase
    capabilities or automatic update tools.

-Brett

5. 5 Posted by thebookbloke on 20 Nov, 2019 12:01 AM

Well, I'm glad they are both working the same for you, Brett. It probably was a setting. I have uninstalled the Setapp version so cannot check. I have purchased Marked 2 straight from your web site and all is good.

It's a really good utility. Thanks.

Mick

6. Brett closed this discussion on 20 Nov, 2019 05:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac