Combining md and mmd with Marked 2

Joakim

20 Oct, 2019 09:04 AM

Hi Brett! Thanks for creating this great toolI I have one issue relating to combining markdown and multimarkdown and it takes a little bit of background to explain it so I am providing you the background first. I am using the app 'The Archive' for taking notes and there I use a multimarkdown syntax (but giving the notes an .md suffix) since I want to be able to see the actual reference (written out) in the note itself not just when rendered to html or pdf format. So, a typical note looks something like this:

# 201910180636 - Zadie Smith on language as verbal containers 

Zadie Smith writes about “cultural appropriation” as _verbal containers_ [4][#smith2019]:

> Bla Bla Bla 

I interpret this as bla bla bla and it relates to bla bla bla.

<!-- Reference -->

[#smith2019]: Zadie Smith (2019): _Fascinated to Presume: In Defense of Fiction_, New York Review of Books 16, 2019, Vol. 66, p. 4--10. <https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2019/10/24/zadie-smith-in-defense-of-fiction/>

When it comes to my academic writing (I am a PhD student), I use Emacs and helm-bibtex for reference management. Using these tools, it seems markdown has much better support than multimarkdown, at least when it comes to reference management which is essential to the process. So, for conventional reasons - and to play it safe - I would like to stick to plain markdown syntax here, not multimarkdown. However, the problem for me right now is that I do not know how to use Marked 2 for both my note writing AND my academic writing. It seems that when filling in the Args: in Preferences/Advanced/Custom Processor I would either have to write markdown or markdown_mmd. Could you help me out? Thanks in advance!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Brett on 22 Oct, 2019 01:51 PM

I'm confused by this, as Markdown itself has zero support for citations. If we're talking specifically about Pandoc or other custom processor, I'm not familiar enough with bibliographic formats in any of them to be of real assistance here.

If you're just looking for a way to interpret some documents as markdown and others as mmd, using a shell script as a custom processor which uses whatever criteria needed to determine which to run, and then passes the content on to pandoc (or other) with appropriate arguments would be easy enough.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac