iA Writer Content Blocks Many Layers Deep Not Working

francoislaflamme

30 Jan, 2019 01:59 PM

iA Writer Content Blocks are only embedded one level deep instead of recursively, for as many levels deep as there are.

If Document 3 is included in Document 2, and Document 2 is included in Document 1, then the content of Document 3 should appear in Document 1, but this does not seem to work at the moment in Marked 2. Document 1 resolves the first Content Block reference and displays the content of Document 2, but the reference to Document 3 that appears in Document 2 does not get resolved, so the reference to Document 3 is shown in Document 1 instead of Document 3's content.

Document 1.zip contains the 3 example txt files to reproduce the issue.
Document 1 (Expected Output in Marked 2).pdf shows the expected behaviour.

This is a big deal for me as I plan on using multi-level embedding in tons of documents for a project I am currently working on. Multi-level embedding brings to text the same kind of modularity that good code has. It can be extremely powerful. iA Writer has good preview functionality, but Marked 2 has great support for Critic Markup, which I would also like to use for my project.

I understand that Marked 2 already supports many other ways to do multi-level embeddings, but having native support for several levels deep of iA Writer Content Blocks would make things much simpler for me, and it would make Marked 2 an even better app.

I have no clue how difficult this feature would be to implement in practice, but Content Block references already get resolved just fine for the first level, so it seems like applying that same process recursively would do the trick.

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Brett on 30 Jan, 2019 09:00 PM

Unfortunately, the way I've implemented this is closer to the leanpub/mmd_merge/GitBook processing than it is to Marked's built in syntax. I may be able to make it recursive in the future, but the effort level is high enough that I need to prioritize it behind some other more urgent updates.

- Brett

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Document_1.zip 702 Bytes
  • Document_1_(Expected_Output_in_Marked_2).pdf 11.6 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac