Critic markup visibility for dark themes

johseb

23 Nov, 2017 09:09 PM

Using critic markup, at least on dark themes, poses a seriuos issue of readability.
I searched the discussions for similar posts and didn't find anything so maybe it's just my machine.

See the following test using Swiss CSS and the text

A paragraph to show {==highlighted text==} is difficult to read {>>and comment as well<<}.

• In the Markup view the highlited text is white on bright yellow so invisible. Comments are a bit better but still not optimal (screenshot 1)

• In Original or edited views the highlighted text is rendered differently from the normal text (which is OK since it's highlighted) but simply using black characters (screenshot 2); not easy to read as well and, by the way, shouldn't it keep the formatting of Markup view?

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Brett on 24 Nov, 2017 05:55 PM

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll look into it for the next update.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Brett on 24 Nov, 2017 06:17 PM

Updated all of the colors for inverse modes, thanks again. Hadn't caught this before!

3. Brett closed this discussion on 24 Nov, 2017 06:17 PM.

4. johseb re-opened this discussion on 24 Nov, 2017 06:33 PM

5. 3 Posted by johseb on 24 Nov, 2017 06:33 PM

Hi Brett,
    great!
    Difficult to catch 100% of the issues; could you please have a look at syntax highlighting as well?
    E.g. Upstanding Citizen seems to have problems with code syntax (see my screenshot)

Thanks again.

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Brett on 24 Nov, 2017 06:35 PM

Yep, I'll fix that as well.

7. 5 Posted by johseb on 11 May, 2018 12:55 AM

Brett,
    sorry to bother you with small details but here's a follow-up on Critic Markup styling:

Highlights are OK but Comments didn't change and still have, in my opinion, sub-optimal readability on dark themes. Comments are OK on light themes (see screenshot4). I think the best solution could be to adopt an orange background with black text for both dark and light themes (similar to what have been done for Highlights).

Also, looking at you 24 Nov screenshot it seems that the green used for Additions are now lighter; it's OK on dark themes but maybe a little too bright for light themes (see screenshot).

Thanks,
    Pierpaolo

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Brett on 11 May, 2018 01:55 AM

Thanks for the update. I think some of my styling changes might have gotten lost in a git branch, I'll track them down for the next update.

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Brett on 11 May, 2018 03:08 PM

Are you sure you don't have any custom styles overriding mine? When I went int to start editing, my markup did not look like yours, but more like the screenshots I had posted earlier. I did go ahead and make some tweaks, though:

Swiss - Standard mode

Swiss - High Contrast

10. 8 Posted by johseb on 11 May, 2018 07:32 PM

The light theme was a custom style but the dark one (high contrast) was the standard Swiss style that comes with the app.
    But indeed you're right: markups in your preview (some of them at least) look different from mines.
    I will try to completely unistall the app and then do a fresh installation.

11. Support Staff 9 Posted by Brett on 11 May, 2018 07:44 PM

Before you do that, let me clarify that the screenshots I just posted
    are from my very newly-modified stylesheets, not released yet.

-Brett

12. 10 Posted by johseb on 11 May, 2018 09:31 PM

OK so I'll wait and check the modified stylesheets in the next release.

Update: solved in rel 2.5.13 (946)

Thanks.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• ScreenShot1.png 19.5 KB
  • ScreenShot2.png 16.6 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac