Word Count Not Updating After A Document is First Opened

Connor Jackson

19 Jan, 2016 11:51 PM

Hey Brett and other Marked friends!

I've recently dove back into Marked after figuring out a few of my hangups with it to fit it into my workflow (figuring out that MultiMarkdown and MathJax don't play nice together), and am really enjoying it! I have found one other issue that has thus far eluded my ability to solve. When I first open a document in Marked, the word count and other statistics are calculated correctly. However, any subsequent changes and saves are not reflected in the statistics. The document body itself updates just fine, but the word count, etc remain at their original values. Closing and reopening the document reflects the new statistics, but then are frozen again until the document is closed and reopened. I do have "Analyze readability statistics" checked in the preferences, but the problem remains if I uncheck it. Any ideas what is going wrong?

Thanks!

Connor

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Brett on 19 Jan, 2016 11:58 PM

Are you on the MAS or direct version, and what Marked version number are
    you running? This was an issue in a recent version, but should be solved
    now. Unfortunately there's been a hang in getting the MAS version
    updated to 2.5.3, so if you have that one, it may be an issue that will
    be fixed as soon as I can squash a difficult-but-unrelated bug.

Also, MMD works fine with MathJax, you just need to double escape the
    brackets around equations, or add a configuration that recognizes single
    and double $… Let me know what issues you're running into in that
    area, I can try to help.

-Brett

2. 2 Posted by Connor Jackson on 20 Jan, 2016 12:17 AM

It's MAS version 2.5.2. So I'll just play the waiting game on that, thanks!

Ahh, the double escaping seems to do it! I'm not actually too familiar with MathJax, just LaTeX, so I got the need to use the brackets instead of the dollar signs, but I missed the double escape. I think it's just a matter of playing to see where the differences are compared to when I would write everything exclusively in LaTeX. I'm definitely excited to replace \textit{X} with *X*! :D

I'm still encountering a few instances where the MathJax processor is pickier than the standard LaTeX processor. E.g. in your example code at the bottom of http://marked2app.com/help/MathJax.html, it doesn't seem to be happy with the spaces between the leading and trailing $$ and the equation, but only when using the MMD processor. Discount doesn't care whether there is a space padding the equation (As an aside, i think you're missing a '\f' from the '\frac' in the last line of that bit of LaTeX on that documentation page).

Connor

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Brett on 20 Jan, 2016 12:59 AM

Thanks for the documentation pointers. To be honest I don't have a clue about any of the LaTeX stuff. Just enough to get other people's code rendering.

And yes, spaces matter for inline equations in mmd. Not sure offhand how Discount treats them, but mmd uses the same rules as would apply to italics/bold or link markup, meaning only recognized if there are adjacent non-whitespace characters.

Thanks,

Brett

4. 4 Posted by Connor Jackson on 20 Jan, 2016 01:08 AM

Ah, okay. Sounds good. Thanks for including it; it's definitely a step up for me from writing entirely in LaTeX in a LaTeX IDE. If you want any help with the LaTeX bits, either testing or documentation, let me know! It's a big help for me, and I'd be happy to be involved to make it better!

Hope you're enjoying your cold cold winter :)

Cheers,

Connor

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac